Jul 13, 2011 | By: Unknown

DIY Runes

Yesterday I was feeling in a creative mood and wanted to get my hands dirty... really dirty.  So, I made salt dough!  My intentions originally were to actually make a set of runes so I could learn.  Runes have always intrigued me and I've been asked about them sometimes, but I don't know very much.  So I figured i'd get the hands on experience.

For my recipe I did :

  • 2 cups of flour
  • 1 cup salt
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 T (tbsp) of Veg Oil (optional: to help knead dough)
I added in the water little by little, and by the end got impatient and ended up with a gooey mess, so I had to add more flour.  You'll hear more about that in a minute. So I rolled up the dough into little balls and flattened them gently with my fingers until I got the right shape, size, thickness, etc, then carved each rune with the tip of a knife.  I put them all on a cookie sheet and then into a 170 degree oven (that's as low as it would go).  I left them in there for a few hours I believe, I was making bread afterwards.  
What I realize is I should've put a Tbsp of lemon juice to help the dough harden, or more salt.  Remember that extra flour?  Well after being cooked and air dried all night, they're a tad cakey.  I suppose I don't mind, I just hope they don't break too soon.   

0 comments:

Post a Comment